my wonderful husband took the lead tonight and made delicious burgers! he didn’t have time to “guest blog” thought so here i am, writing in his stead.
first, let me tell you about the fries! this was my contribution to dinner. i took a top rated recipe from All Recipes and tweaked it because i didn’t have all the ingredients:
- 2 medium-large potatoes
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 ts paprika
- 1 ts parsley
- 1 ts garlic powder
- 1 ts garlic salt
- 1/2 ts black pepper
baked the fries at 450 degrees for about 45 minutes. flipped the fries halfway through and added more salt. then put more parsley right before serving! they were yum yum yum! next time we’ll try sweet potato fries (my favorite!)
now for the burgers! im not 100% sure what kevin did…i sent kevin 2 links. the first, a blog by a fellow yalie named Marilynn Lerum whose blog i looove to read and who was so sweet and kind to me when i was a little underclassman at yale. she found this recipe for umami burgers and made a few changes to it and i think that kevin followed Marilynn’s recipe…not sure. anywho, the secret to these delicious burgers is FISH SAUCE. yes, i said fish sauce. apparently it adds juiciness to your burger as well as complexity to the flavor. it was so good!
for our toppings we used bacon (kevin loooooves bacon), swiss cheese, grilled onions, lettuce, tomatoe, and spicy mayo (mayo + sriracha!).
a few notes:
- go easy on the spicy mayo! it was a little overpowering.
- as novice burger patty makers, we are still inexperienced with how to form the patties. all to say, ours were too fat 🙂
- should we melt the cheese straight on the patty or toast it on the bun? which is better? not so sure yet…
- make sure that the buns you make/buy aren’t too thin on the bottom.
- buy some ranch dressing so i can make my brother’s delicious ranch + black pepper dipping sauce for the fries 🙂