this week has been busy prepping for our early valentine’s day celebration! we decided to enjoy a relaxing night in on Thursday. i told kevin that i wanted to cook him a fancy dinner so i’ve been having fun looking at recipes and getting yummy ingredients. the menu is a secret, so i can’t write it right now, BUT be on the lookout for a post over the weekend or early next week!
anywho, so on monday, when i told kevin that we were making a lighter version of chicken parmesan, he cringed, skeptical that a baked (not fried) chicken parmesan would still taste good. let’s just say he was pleasantly surprised!
recipe and photo courtesy of Skinnytaste.
- 4 chicken breasts (butterflied)
- 3/4 c seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 c grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbs butter melted or olive oil
- 3/4 c part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 c marinara
- cooking spray
1) Preheat oven to 450. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
2) Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a bowl. Melt the butter in another bowl. Lightly brush the butter onto the chicken, then dip into breadcrumb mixture. Place on baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken.
3) Lightly spray a little more oil on top and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn chicken over, bake another 5 minutes.
4) Remove from oven, spoon 1 tbsp sauce over each piece of chicken and top each with 1 1/2 tbsp of shredded mozzarella cheese.
5) Bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
this recipe was great because it was easy but still yielded delicious results! we served it over spaghetti and with some spinach salad. i’m looking forward to trying out more recipes from Skinnytaste!