all the rain the past few days made me crave a nice warm bowl of soup! my go-to soup at Panera is their black bean soup so this week i thought i’d try and make it.
before venturing off and trying to make black bean from scratch (using the hard beans that have to be soaked overnight), i decided to try a shortcut “20 minute black bean soup” version first.
- 1 box Trader Joe’s Latin Style Black Bean Soup
- 1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- cumin (to taste)
- garlic powder (to taste)
- chili powder (to taste)
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- shredded cheese
1) In a large pot, saute the diced onions and bell peppers in olive oil until cooked through. Add the black beans and corn and saute for another minute.
2) Add the Trader Joe’s Latin Style Black Bean Soup and spices to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
our verdict? the soup was good! not as good as Panera’s, but given how easy it was, i will probably make it again. soon i shall try and venture into the world of legit soup from scratch!