a few months ago, kevin was visiting Loma Linda University and he got some delicious vegetable quesadillas at the school cafeteria for lunch. they didn’t even have cheese in them! lately i’ve been looking for some vegetarian meal options and i ran across this great recipe.
(recipe and photos courtesy of Domesticate Me)
- 1 zucchini (diagonally sliced into ¼ inch pieces)
- 1 summer squash (diagonally sliced into ¼ inch pieces)
- 1 red bell pepper (stem and seeds removed)
- 1 red onion (sliced into ¼ inch rounds)
- 1 large Portobello mushroom (sliced into ½ inch pieces)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 4 tortillas (i used the super large flour tortillas at Trader Joe’s)
- 4 Tbs pesto, divided
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 oz goat cheese, divided
- Prepare your vegetables. Drizzle the sliced vegetables with olive oil and season with salt & pepper.
- Place vegetables on the grill (or in a grill pan) and cook for approximately 3 minutes on each side or until just tender.
- Remove the vegetables from the grill and let cool for 5 minutes. Cut the grilled vegetables into roughly 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- To assemble each quesadilla: Spread a tortilla with 1 tablespoon pesto. Sprinkle ¼ cup mozzarella cheese on ½ of the tortilla. Add ¼ of the grilled vegetables and crumble 1 oz of goat cheese over them. Sprinkle another ¼ cup mozzarella on top and fold the tortilla over to close.
- Place the quesadilla on a lightly oiled grill (or grill pan) and cook for 3 minutes on each side until the cheese in fully melted. Slice and enjoy!
the pesto and goat cheese reeeeally made these quesadillas. they were soooo good! honestly, how can you go wrong with pesto and goat cheese? the quesadillas were also super filling! mushrooms always add a nice meaty-ness. i’m glad i bought double the vegetables because that means we get to eat it again this upcoming week. yay!