i’ve been wanting to try this recipe for a while now because it looks suuuper easy (and sure enough, it was!) i like salsa verde because it makes me think of summer, more so than regular salsas. i’m not sure why…maybe it’s that bright green color or the fact that i always like my salsa verde with a generous squeeze of lime juice and lime = summer.
(recipe adapted from Skinnytaste. also, my friend, Amy Radding encouraged me to post more of my photos of the food i cook, so i literally carried this pot of chicken outside to try and get some natural light for this shot…haha. anywho, perhaps i should invest in a camera that’s better than my iphone…)
- 2-2 1/2 lbs chicken breasts (or tenders)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 jalapeno, sliced (*i wanted to add a little extra heat to ours)
- salt, to taste
- 24 oz salsa verde (*any will do)
1. Season the chicken with garlic powder, oregano, cumin and salt and place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Wedge the jalapeno slices between the pieces of chicken. Cover the chicken with salsa verde.
2. Close the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 hours.
3. Remove chicken and shred with 2 forks. Place shredded chicken back into the crock pot with remaining salsa. Adjust seasoning to taste, if needed, and keep warm.
4. Enjoy! Serve over rice, on tostadas, in tacos/burritos/enchiladas, or over salad. (It’s super versatile!)
it was so nice knowing that dinner would only take minutes to whip up once i got home! the yummy smell of the chicken, filling the house, was an added plus! i had the chicken over salad and kevin had it in a taco. for our sides we had some avocado, red quinoa w/ black beans, diced tomatoes, greek yogurt (as a substitute for sour cream), and of course, limes! it was delish!