lately i’ve been obsessed with sun-dried tomatoes! this past week i bought sun-dried tomato hummus, a 3 layer mediterranean dip with sun-dried tomatoes, and a jar of sun-dried tomatoes to make these white bean burgers. i think it all started last week at kara’s graduation reception. they had this delicious orzo pasta w/ sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, and other goodies. yum!
anywhoo, i’ve also been on the hunt for good veggie burger recipes and i stumbled across this. not only does it call for sun-dried tomatoes, but also rosemary (which kevin loves) so i had to try it!
(recipe adapted from Not Without Salt)
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 Tbs fresh rosemary, chopped
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- (generous) pinch chili flakes
- 1 Tbs oil from sun-dried tomato jar
- 2 eggs
1) Pre-heat your oven to 375*F
2) In a large bowl add the beans. Mash them up a bit while still maintaining some bits of bean. Add to this the remaining ingredients except for the eggs. Taste for seasoning then add the eggs. Let this sit for 15 minutes or so. During this time the bread crumbs will soak up a bit of the moisture.
3) Line a sheet pan with parchment and a bit of oil or pan spray. Form four (or six small) patties and place in a 375*F pre-heated oven. Bake 10-15 minutes on each side.
4) Serve on bread or over a salad. Enjoy!
we had our burgers over a salad of arugula. the patties were pretty flavorful, but a little bit dry…i’m glad we didn’t eat them on bread or else it would have been like dry on dry. haha. soooo we experimented with different add-ons like goat cheese, pesto, more sun-dried tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar for the arugula and they complemented the burgers quite nicely!
if anyone out there has a great vegetarian burger recipe that they loooove, please do share. i think next i’d like to try beet burgers!
till next time!