lately i’ve been looking for some light, healthy, and of course easy, vegetarian recipes so that kevin and i can slim down for the summer. this recipe combines two things i love: chickpeas and feta cheese! the flavors scream mediterranean. the sandwiches were perfect for our evening hike/picnic this past week. i prepped the mash and pickled onions the night before, and then threw the sandwiches together right before we headed out for our hike!
(photo and recipe courtesy of Sprouted Kitchen)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 15oz can)
- giant handful of chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- zest and juice of one small lemon
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (we used apple cider)
- 2 carrots, thinly peeled with a peeler
- 3 cups sprouts or greens of choice
- pita bread or naan
1) Rinse and drain the chickpeas. In a mixing bowl, rough up the beans and cilantro with a potato masher. Don’t be too rough…you don’t want a paste.You could alternatively use a food processor and give the mix a few pulses.
2) To the mixing bowl add the tahini, lemon juice and zest, pinch of red pepper flakes, feta, olive oil and lots of fresh ground pepper. Stir to blend. Add a tiny splash of water if it looks too dry.
3) Combine the onion and vinegar in a bowl with a pinch of salt and toss with your fingers to coat just to soften them a bit. Use a peeler to create carrot ribbons.
4) Set up your space with the carrots, pickled onions and greens. Make each sandwich with a hearty swipe of the chickpea mash, a generous layer of onions, carrots, greens.
this recipe was great! incredibly refreshing and delicious! now that i think about the ingredients and flavors, it was almost like a falafel, but not fried? the pickles were especially tasty; we used them the rest of the week to accompany other random foods we ate. on top of all this, the sandwiches were also quite filling and kept us going for our long hike!