now that kevin is done with school, he is back to the gym! which means he’s gotta have his protein. last thursday i noticed that our eggs were a week old and that our spinach would go bad over the weekend (while we were in san diego) if we didn’t eat on friday, sooo i decided to try and make my very first frittata!
(recipe adapted from Epicurious)
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 10 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 Tbs dry basil (or 2 Tbs fresh basil, chopped)
- garlic powder, to taste
- salt & pepper, to taste
1) Heat oven to 425°F. Coat 1 medium-sized ramekin (or other baking dish) with cooking spray. Set aside.
2) Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook shallot until soft. Add spinach and cook down. Remove from heat.
3) Lightly whisk eggs in a bowl. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, cheese, milk, basil, cooled spinach mixture, garlic powder, and salt & pepper. Make sure the parmesan cheese isn’t too clumpy. Pour mixture into the ramekin.
4) Bake frittata until firm in the center and golden brown on the edges, 30-35 minutes. (Baking time will be less if the mixture is divided into smaller ramekins or a muffin pan)
this recipe was an absolute winner! the golden edges of the frittata reminded me of parmesan crisps. so yummy! the texture of the frittata was nice and fluffy and all the flavors married together beautifully. i’m sure feta cheese would taste great in this too! this will be great for cooking in bulk (in a muffin pan) so that you can just grab one for breakfast on your way out the door!