i’ve always wanted to try making beet burgers, but all of the recipes i’ve found have an ingredient list that is a mile long…until i found this one!
(photo and recipe courtesy of Green Kitchen Stories)
- 3 cups grated raw beetroots (approx. 4-5 beets)
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 small onion
- 7-8 oz feta cheese (or firm tofu)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbs garlic olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 large handful fresh basil, chopped
- salt & pepper
1) Peel and grate the beets, onion and garlic on a box grater or use a food processor with the grating blades attached. (*note: i don’t have a box grater so i had to use my handheld grater…i decided to mince the garlic with a knife stead of using the grater) Place the grated vegetables in a large mixing bowl.
2) Add olive oil, eggs and rolled oats and mix everything well. Add feta, basil, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Set aside for about 30 minutes, so the oats can soak up the liquid and the mixture sets.
3) Try shaping a patty with your hands. If the mixture is to loose, add some more oats. Form 6-8 patties with your hands. (*we had to add more oats. i think our beets gave off a LOT of juice…and we got 8 patties!)
4) Grill the burgers for a few minutes on each side. Serve with with bread and toppings of your choice or over salad.
these beet burgers were soooo fresh and tasty! i think i may have put about 2 handfuls of basil into the mixture because i just got another basil plant from Trader Joe’s and had a lot that was ripe and ready to be used. yum! i wasn’t too hungry and the patties tasted so good on their own that i just ate one plain for dinner.
also, talk about eating with your eyes. the burgers were stunning! the color was absolutely beautiful!