if you love goat cheese, this recipe is for you!
and/or if you’re looking for a good vegetarian recipe that you can cook in bulk on the weekend, this recipe is for you!
(photo and recipe courtesy of Sprouted Kitchen)
- 3 large zucchini, chopped into bite size cubes (~4 cups once chopped)
- 12 oz. Trader Joe’s enchilada sauce
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 oz. soft goat cheese
- 6-8 tortillas (depends on size)
- salt & pepper
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place the zucchini on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper and toss everything with your hands to coat. Spread in an even layer and roast for about 30 minutes until the edges are brown. Remove to cool. Turn the oven down to 375 degrees.
2) In a large mixing bowl, combine the onion and black beans. Set aside 1 oz. of the goat cheese for the topping and crumble the rest into the bowl. Add the cooled zucchini and toss everything together very gently.
3) In an oven proof rectangle dish, pour 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce to cover the bottom of the dish. Working with one tortilla at a time, fill it with the filling and roll it up like a taquito. Lay it in the dish seam-side down. Continue with remaining tortillas, squeezing the enchiladas in tight.
4) Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas and sprinkle reserved goat cheese on top. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for 5 minutes until the top is just crisp. Allow the enchiladas to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
these vegetarian enchiladas were soo rich and delicious that i didn’t miss meat at all! they were also super quick and easy, which is always a win in my book. the tortillas we were used were whole wheat and they were a little old/starting to dry out. the enchilada sauce certainly helped the tortillas out, but i think next time i’ll use flour ones instead. i love flour tortillas!
anywho, if you have any good vegetarian recipes you’d like to share, please dooo! not that i’m turning vegetarian or anything…but sometimes i tire of eating meat everyday. happy sunday everyone!