yesterday i went a little overboard when grocery shopping for fruits and veggies for the week. let’s just say a LOT more veggies than i usually buy…on the menu for dinner was burgers and i wasn’t sure how to i could incorporate more veggies into the meal…until i thought “hmm asparagus…those kinda look like fries? maybe look up ‘asparagus fries’ on google?” and i found this!
(photo and recipe courtesy of Damn Delicious)
- 1 cup Italian style Panko
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.
2) In a large bowl, combine Panko and Parmesan; set aside.
3) Working in batches, dredge asparagus in flour, dip into eggs, then dredge in Panko mixture, pressing to coat.
4) Place asparagus in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Place into oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
these ‘fries’ were delicious! and a lot more guilt free! they were definitely a bit of work, having to coat them in flour, eggs, and then panko, BUT still worth it if you have the time and want to enjoy something a little special.
i think the fries could have used some more salt…i didn’t add any to the panko/parmesan mixture because i figured the “italian style panko” already had some additional salt in it…so next time i’ll definitely season a bit more!
off to enjoy more family time on this lovely sunday in San Diego!