the one take away from our nutrition class last month was beans, beans, beans! so in the name of our health, i went on the hunt for yummy bean recipes. i’ve never cooked lentils before (or really loved them) but this recipe sounded pretty good and perfect for summer.
- 1¼ cup dried green lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ⅓ cup sliced, pitted kalamata olives
- the juice from one medium lemon, about 3 tablespoons
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Place the lentils in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Boil until just tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute the pepper, onion, and garlic until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked lentils, sauteed veggies, basil, and olives. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and lemon juice, then toss lightly until well combined. Gently stir in the feta.
- Serve as is or spoon it into pita breads to make a sandwich.
i ate this for lunch all week over some greens (as a salad) with a touch of balsamic vinaigrette. it was pretty good! flavorful and filling. even kevin liked it!