in the name of trying to find more meatless meal options, i thought of making falafel. usually falafel is deep fried, but here’s a recipe for baked falafel!
i adopted the recipe from this one from the Picky Eater Blog.
- 1, 15oz can of chickpeas
- 1/2 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- juice from 1 lemon
- 3 Tbs parsley, finely chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 Tbs garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 Tbs ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor/blender and give them a good chop.
2. Transfer into bowl and mash more with a potato masher if needed. Mixture should still be a little chunky, not smooth.
3. Spray baking sheet with olive oil spray (we used our Misto!). Form mixture into ping pong ball sized balls (we got about 16). Spray the top of the balls with more olive oil.
4. Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Turn the falafel balls after the 15 minutes and then bake for 10-12 more minutes.
5. Serve with pita bread, hummus, and other fixings as you like (we had pita bread, hummus, sliced tomatoes, and salad).
This recipe was pretty good, easy, and required little clean up. The falafel were suuuuper flavorful and packed quite a punch! The hardest part was trying to get the ingredients in the blender to chop well because the ratio of dry ingredients to wet ingredients was high. So make sure to really get a fine chop on those onions, garlic, and parsley before adding them. Enjoy!