since i’m taking the week off from running to recover from our half marathon this past weekend, ive been spending more time cooking! last night i made this skinny broccoli cheddar soup and some grilled cheese sandwiches.
usually broccoli cheddar soup is a lot more cheese/cream than broccoli. this version has a lot more broccoli than cheese, cutting the fat and calories to one fourth of what it typically would be.
i followed this recipe from the pickyeaterblog to a tee!
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups broccoli florets, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 + 1/8 cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves (garnish)
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Turn off the heat. Using an immersion (hand) blender, blend the soup until it’s creamy and smooth.
- Stir in 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup half-and-half and 2 ounces cheese.
- Top evenly with remaining 1 tbsp cheese per bowl and parsley.
this broccoli cheddar soup is a lot more green and a little less gooey/cheesy than your traditional broccoli cheddar soup, BUT it still tasted good! you could always add some milk and/or more cheddar cheese to get to your desired cheesy-ness. in any case, it made me super happy knowing that i was eating so much vegetable in every bite!